Sunday, June 22, 2008

The eagle has landed...

Well, we finally got here this morning. We arrived at 1:15am and were to be met by our guide or driver. We got our luggage and went outside. And waited and waited. I reread the part of our packet that told us about getting picket up. It said to wait 20 minutes. It is rare to not be picked up. Well one hour later, the airport turned off its lights. We were still standing. There are no phones in the airport past luggage to call anyone. So we said to heck with it and waved for a taxi. We told them the Majestic Hotel. They all just looked at us. I showed the itinerary with the name Majestic Hotel. They just looked at me, because obviously if you cant speak english, most likely you cant read it. So finally 10 taxis later, one knew what the name meant and took us to the hotel. We got here at 3:30am. So much for "rare not to have guide/driver pick you up." Once again, we are rare. I called the travel agency this morning and apparently they didnt understand that the date changed after midnight and were a day off. Oh well, here we are.
Riley has surprised me at how great a traveller he has been. He even has tried some unusual food, with promises of Ramon noodle if he doesnt like it. He has gone thru the Ramon noodles fast so far.
Today is Curtis's birthday. Only a crazy man would turn 50 in China adopting a 18 month old. We are both pretty crazy, but boy I wouldnt want to be too sane. It takes the fun out of life.
A wonderful friend from my office(Joe V) gave us a large donation of money to buy items for the orphanage in Mia's memory. I cant tell you what that did to me when I read that card. He has an adopted daughter from Korea and he knows better than anyone how much a birthmother must give up to allow someone else to raise their child. So I look at the donation as in honor of Peyton and Mia. Two girls loved so much by their families. Our guide called the orphange today to find out what they needed. She talked to the orphanage director who said that they need a digital camera to upload photos to get files ready the help children get adopted. So we went shopping and had great fun buying a digital camera. and we got so many clothes, blankets, socks and shoes, bottles, diapers. I believe it will help the orphange so much.
The director of the orphanage told the guide to tell us our daughter is beautiful, outgoing and walking. She is also the favorite of the orphange so is very spoiled. :) She will fit right in with our other spoiled boys. That is the only way I know how to raise them. I cant believe we get her tomorrow. I am excited, nervous and many other feelings only understood by me. This trip has been so much harder than I expected emotionally. But it all ok. It is as it is. God has blessed us beyond words. I pray tonight that he will cover her heart for tomorrow. She will be scared and I know it. May she slowly accept her new life completely. May we be the right parents for her. May we never compare her to Mia, for no one could compare with the tear-washed memory of a 4 year old. This would never be right, and I will try to never do it. May
we show her the way of love and Christ. I know that tonight a heavenly preparation is going on for her into our family. I do worry about us being 48 and 50. I worry that we will have the energy needed. But I am 100% sure that this adoption is not led by just us. This is a God thing. Completely. And I am in awe that he chose us to walk this precious little girl thru life.
I will post tomorrow after we get her.
I thought you might like to see the cake make by the hotel for curtis. Gotta love pretty cakes that are filled with strange things and taste horrible.
Love,
cindy

7 comments:

Karen said...

A digital camera sounds like a great gift! More children adopted sounds like a wonderful plan. I really do believe that they take good care of the kids at Cangwu. Perhaps the orphanage will give you an email address so you (and other moms!) can share pictures in the future with them.
Good luck! I know it has been a long road. I cannot wait to see June in your arms!!
Hugs- Karen
www.mom2my4.

Angie said...

Hi Cindy, Curtis, and Riley!
We are praying for a smooth transition for you and June. Hopefully she will quickly realize what a wonderful forvever family she has. By the way, there is a restaurant next to the Majestic that you might want to try (go out the front door of the hotel and the restaurant is down to the right. The dumplings are always a safe bet there, and some other things we tried were good too. We stayed at the Majestic for both adoptions and ate at this restaurant often. (They have pictures of the food so you can point to what looks good :o)

Love,
The Hutto's

Kimberlie said...

Hi Cindy!
I am envious that you are in Nanning. I second the advice to go to the restaurant just outside the hotel. We ate there twice a day every day that we were in Nanning. The food was so great and we never ran out of new dishes to try. And it was cheap on top of it all. Paul, Zach, and I ate a huge feast each night for 80 RMB, or about $10 at that time.

I can't wait to hear of the first time you set eyes on June. Oh I just love that part!

Blessings,
Kimberlie

Amy said...

Cindy - I am so happy that you are so close to your June! I can just imagine how emotionally difficult this has been for you and all of the mixed feelings you must be having. I cannot even begin to understand what you have gone through, but we also feel so many mixed feelings with Presley and Lexi. Thank goodness for having faith in God and a belief that everything is in His hands and His plan.

Have a wonderful trip and I can't wait to read your post tomorrow!!

Amy in Arizona

Karen said...

Goodnight- it is 11:43 on the east coast, already the next day in China. I expect you don't have June yet because they have to travel so far to get to nanning. I will check for pictures first thing in the morning. Take care my cyberfriend!
Hugs-Karen
www.mom2my4.com

Ellen said...

Happy Birthday Curtis, what a wonderful birthday gift to finally see and touch you beautiful little girl.
Cindy, I can't even begin to understand the emotions you are going through but please know that I will be praying that this transition for June will be as easy as possible. I really believe that even as small as she is the Lord has already been preparing here heart for this as well. I love you and can't wait to meet my little cousin June.
I can't leave out Riles, I love you bud and try not to get too sick on the Chinese food LOL.
Love,
Ellen

Peyton said...

Hi this is Peyton..... Joe V's daughter. Thanks so much for mentioning my name, my dad and i feel really honored. oh my goodness, June is really lucky to have a family that loves her with all you heart!! my dad and i (but mostly me) cant wait to see June!!
She's definitely the cutest baby i've ever seen! My dad wanted me to read your blog and when i did i went straight to the pics! i fell in love with her. i just cant wait to meet June!!

love always..
Peyton and joe!