Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tower of Terror

We arrived 2 days ago in Guanghzou. We are now at the Victory Hotel and rejoicing for the bigger rooms and better smell. No trace of mildew, than you very much. It is raining here, so it has dampened my shopping urges quite a bit. Today we go to the Safari park with the rest of our travel group. We have met up with several more families, and they are all as enjoyable to be around as the first part of our group. We did the dreaded paperwork session yesterday. 3 hrs around a large table getting paperwork completed. And I just thought I was done. Night before last was a horrible night for June. She cried all thru the night and maybe slept 1 hour. I was the walking zombie yesterday and definately felt "post call". I kindof melted down last night and told Curtis maybe I was too old and tired to do this again. He looked at me and told me to look into June's huge eyes and then tell him that. He was right. Even post mommy call, I looked at her face and had to smile. Its good , but it tiring. And that is just honest.
She hates the hotel rooms in general. When we walk into the rooms she screams and I have renamed the Victory Hotel "The Tower of Terror". Terror for her, so ultimately, terror for us.
A update on her special needs. Her cleft palate is actually not very wide, which made me very happy. Some children with cleft affected palates almost have no tissue at the top of their mouths. She has a fairly narrow split, so I hope that increases her success with surgery since there will be less tension when things "pulled together". Her lip actually looks good in photos, but in person you can tell it will need to be repaired. One side of her lip is not up were it is supposed to be. This leaves on side of mouth without much lip, and a little tissue blob (sorry for all medical terms LOL) in middle. This will need to be cut, and realigned. Her nose is as expected, and probably less affected than others with this since palate is less severe. Her foot is really not an issue. It has healed well. She is just so thin, and when I took her clothes off for the first time, I just wanted to cry. Tiny, skinny with bones showing and no muscle development at all. I have no idea how this girl can walk. She has tiny, lovely hands and they remind me of Riley's at 3 months of age. Amazingly little.
She has finally started having 2 good wet diapers a day. I know she must think I am weird, since she was so dehydrated when we got her, and wouldnt take the bottle, I was spoon feeding her one spoon of water every few minutes thru the day. Everytime she looked at me I was sticking a spoon of water in her mouth. She probably thought I was the giant spoon lady. "Oh no, here comes the water lady again with that tiny plastic spoon that she carries everywhere".
Feeding her and food has been an issue. Honestly, I am a "seasoned" momma, and have fed many babies. But when you are given a child and then leave, this part is hard. You dont know what kind of formula and taste they are used to. I asked the orphanage director, and he said"the usual kind" IE: I dont know, I dont take care of the babies". Then you dont know if it needs rice cereal, needs to be hot(some babies here only like it hot) or warm. Then there is the whole cleft thing and not able to suck. She cant or will not chew, so all food goes down whole. So we are left with feeding her poridge, congee and oatmeal. Oh well, we'll get it.
Gotta go now, she just woke up screaming. Let the daily terror begin....
cindy
hands up screaming as the tower of terror ride drops

2 comments:

Blessed Family said...

Saying prayers for you and your little one! She is such a doll. I hope you have a gret trip. Heidi

P&M said...

I'm sorry that little June is so scared but I'm a little bit glad that now she feels safe enough to scream instead of just being silent. I'll be praying for you guys for the flight home and that you'll continue to "get to know" what June wants and needs!!

Marni