Friday, June 27, 2008

Guilin Update Part 2

We have had a whirlwind of activity in Guilin. Yesterday we took the Li River cruise. We boarded a boat with an indoor area and a flat top. During the cruise we were able to stand on the top around the railings and view the beautiful and unique mountains and landscape. We saw amazing scenery and enjoyed it a lot. While we were on this cruise there was a group of about 20 teenage girls and their parents on a homeland tour. These girls were all adopted from china as young children and were back to tour China. It was fun to see the future in our girls. The only depressing thing is that I look now like these parents do. And I am just starting.
We cruised for about 4 hours and pulled into a quaint village to tour. As we disembarked, there was a man there with 2 birds on a stick allowing you to take a photo with him for 5 yuan(less than 1 dollar). We thought we would let riley do this and right before we got to the start of the line, the lady in front of us stood with the man and pulled out a magazine and held it with the front facing the camera. She was the one on the magazine front and was wearing a bikini and was very beautiful in the photo. I am not sure what kind of magazine it is, but apparently she is famous. Well this certainly made Curtis and Riley's day.
As we were walking down the streets, we constantly got mobbed by people selling trinkets. Now you dont dare stop and look or answer them or 50 more show up. This is just not a good thing to do with my husband. He thinks to be a good Texan, you must speak to everyone. I spent the day telling him not to look or speak. Even riley was telling him to walk in front of us so we could watch him. LOL. He got us mobbed routinely. And when you go to the retail booths, it is like Mexico bargaining X 100. Very aggressive. One lady kept pulling my arm and pulling me back when I passed her. The last time, she pulled so hard I stumbled and almost fell while carrying June in the carrier in front of me. I felt the Momma bear heat rising in my face, but quickly calmed myself. I dont need to call my two oldest sons and ask them to wire me money to get out of jail in China. I see the local headlines now: Foreign Doctor Jailed for Beating Local Woman with Diaperbag. LOL
One weathered old lady with no teeth and stooped back kept coming up to Curtis and rubbing his belly. I told him I think they think he is Budda and is rubbing him for luck. At first it was kindof embarrassing, and everywhere we went she showed up to rub his belly. Finally we got into a golf cart that was to take us to the bus. She was rubbing, but then started kindof slapping his belly and punching it. I really got pretty comical. If I could speak Chinese I would have told her that if she knew how many pork and beans he had eaten on the western buffet at the hotel, she wouldnt be pushing on his belly :)
Today we went thru a beautiful park on a lake and saw Elephant Trunk Hill. It is a hill that has a natural opening all the way thru it and looks (sortof) like a elephant and trunk. But the park was very enjoyable. Nothing like strolling in the heat of the day in 100 degree weather with 100 percent humidity with a baby strapped to the front of you in a carrier. I was ready to jump in the lake before it was over. This afternoon we went to Reed Flute Cave. It was a very beautiful cave and Riley really enjoyed it. But he was pretty disappointed there were no bats or bat guana. June hated the cave and whined the whole time. I think she thought we were back in our hotel room : dark, humid, musty smelling and wet dirty floors. I think our hotel must have flooded recently with all the rains, because it really smells like must and I am glad we are leaving in am, because I am pretty sure our suitcases will start showing black mold on the outside soon.
We are with 3 other families. With our first adoption, we were in a group of 13 families. And with that group, I realized that we international adoption families are an "eclectic" group. Some very unual folks were in that group. Like the lady who found out I was a Dr. and asked if I had vicodin with me. What? Like I am going to travel to China with my suitcase loaded with Vicodin? I wanted to tell her "No, but i do have a little heroin on me" Sheesh. Anyway, when that trip was over, they passed around a piece of paper for everyone to put their address, and I omitted putting our names down. On purpose. But I am amazed at these 3 other families here with us. They are all very wonderful people, with beautiful children, and none are first time parents. The experience they all have is so good when dealing with babies who come to you with definate issues. I am really enjoying their company.
June had a better day today. We went 2 full days without a wet diaper, so yesterday I pushed fluids. She of course does not suck well without a palate, and has not taken to the formula or bottles well. She doesnt chew at all, so table food must be very soft like oatmeal, congee. When we get home I will immediately put her on pediasure and she will need beginner baby food. She is warming up to Riley even more and tonight he had her laughing outloud as he threw her into the air. She is still very frightened of everything. She will not play with a toy, she can walk but screams when I put her down, and screams loudest of all if Curtis even looks at her. She will scream if he even moves around in the hotel room, so yesterday he just laid on the bed frozen, afraid to move. I had to laugh at that point and told him that was beyond rediculous, and she had to get used to him "moving". I finally gave her the pediatric laxative I brought and she had her first dirty diaper today since we got her. I guess we probably have ruled out giardia in this little girl. I can best describe her as a little rabbit that has been caught and held. You can feel them shiver as you hold the, feel their heart race with any new voice, sound or person. I still think she is terrified beyond words. I dont know of any way to fix it quicker . I hold her and make her feel as safe as possible. She seems to do best in my carrier when I wear her against me. I cant wait until the day she is running thru my house laughing and squealing. I know it will come, we just will have to be patient. She is silent. The only sounds she ever makes is crying. No babbling, no sighs, no sounds. The first sound i have heart other than crying was tonight with Riley. It was a soft giggle. Quick, and then she acted a little perturbed at herself that she let her guard down. She clings to me and goes to me easily. But it is not an attachment yet. This takes a long time. It is more of a "you dont scare me as much as he does" grip. I have no idea how this girl is walking. She is so very behind in everything else. Really, I think we almost need a carrier for her (the kind you swing around in your hands) so that I can sit her in the rooms as I walk in and out. Lord help us when I go right back to work when we get home and she stays all day with her Daddy. I am thinking ear plugs may be necessary for the 3 boys at home.
She is a gentle little soul. Soft, doesnt like dirty hands, pulls her pants legs down if they bunch up. She seems to like the girly things I put on her, and has discovered her hair bows today and tries to pull them out. That is one thing , girl, that I wont budge on. Get used to being a bow head. I will take it out at night before bed. I promise.
I will post pictures tomorrow. It takes me too much time to do this since I am tech. challenged and we have to get up at 5am for early flight to Guangzhou. Tomorrow we start the US part of the adoption paperwork. I miss my boys at home. I miss my parents. I miss my house. I miss my soft bed.
love,
The Mildew Bunch

4 comments:

Amy said...

Cindy - You crack me up!! My husband in China was so much like yours. He got suckered into buying so many things because he had to say hi to everyone and smile at them!! I'm glad things are going better with June. I can't wait to see more pictures. She is such a little cutie!!

Amy in Arizona

P&M said...

I'm glad that you guys are getting to do some fun things in China! I'll be praying that June will become less fearful. That has been one of the hardest things for me to watch with Zach and we're still dealing with some obvious fear issues even after having him for seven weeks. I know that it is a process though because he is much better than he was and I'm sure that you'll see the same thing with June. I hope your last few days in China are good ones, but I'm sure you're anxious to be home!!

Marni

Shelley said...

She is beautiful and you are all brave! I will pray for you as you travel home, can't wait to see her. God Bless you all!! Love, Shelley S. at Harris

严酷的魔王 said...

well,it's nice to see a foreigner talking about Guilin.
I'm a Guiliner.

Enjoy yourself in this City!