Monday, June 23, 2008

Sleeping Beauty

This aptly descibes our new daughter. We got her yesterday at 5pm and she cried and grieved for about 30 minutes and fell asleep in the bus going to the hotel. She slept from that point until I woke her at 7am. Almost 14 hrs. She woke up a couple of times last night and I saw her huge eyes open and then when she heard my voice she closed her eyes immediately, probably thinking she was having a horrible dream. How she can sleep 14 hrs thru Curtis's snoring I'll never know:). She has had two long naps today, and I will probably have to wake her for dinner. I on the other hand cant sleep. Not more than 3 hrs a night.
She is lovely, but oh so quiet. We experience the screamer for h--- last time, and on this adoption we are seeing the child who shuts down, and instead of grief, is in the firm grasp of extreme terror. She truly is scared to death. She finally walked some today, so I know she has this skill down. She is very weak in her core muscles, so she leans back to sit and while holding her I must support her back or she will flop back like a 3 month old. She does have fairly good fine motor skills with her hand and can bring a snack to her mouth. But no way could she manage a spoon. She is not ill and no obvious problems except a pretty bad heat rash around her neck. The orphanage director said that this showed up a few days ago and they gave us some steroid cream to apply. They do not have any airconditioning at the orphanage and I can only wonder how hot it must get inside the buildings because it is truly humid and scorching temps here. Poor babies. Just to reassure you all, she is normal for a child raised in an orphanage. I am not at all surprised by her level(9month developmentally, except walking) and I know that she is bright and has a spark in her eyes. She will be fine with a little Texas loving. She is very quiet, and will not try anything without looking at us first. She is just now comfortable enough to even move when I put her in a high chair. For my Mom out there, trust me she is ok. She makes great eye contact and nothing that is abnormal. But we definately do have a baby on our hands. I weighed her today and she weighs 15 lbs. Made me laugh out loud since my oldest son Jordan weighed 11 lbs at BIRTH, and she is 18 months old. I put her in 9-12 months clothes and they were a little big. Probably would fit 6 months perfect. That's OK, she'll need a lapband before we get through with her.
She is gentle and soft. Riley thinks she is just the most awesome baby ever, and I see his little eyes and heart taking it all in. What an amazing life changing trip for him. I guarantee he will be his sisters biggest supporter as she grows up. I have other boys at home, and they all will love her in an amazing way. She is tiny, needy and beautiful. Today is Riley's 11 birthday. Another awful cake for him. LOL. We just looked at this one and never cut it. Looks can be deceiving.
I asked the orphanage director about her foot and how it was injured. She has only 4 toes on one foot and a long scar down the side. It is well healed and doesnt bother her and she walks well on her own. He told me she was left in a box at the side of a river in a small town. This was within 48 hrs of her birth, in January. She got severe frost bite of her foot and the tissue including the toe died down to the bone. She was taken to the hospital for debriedment and toe removal. When he told me this, I got sick to my stomach. Dear God, how awful of a start for this tiny little miracle. I still am so sad over this. I was going to post her gotcha video from yesterday, but she had such fear and grief, I feel it is best left in her private part of her life. My mind will never forget it, but this is for her to try and understand someday, with us at her side.
Love,
Sleepless in Nanning(Mom)
Hibernation crew in Nanning (June, Curtis, Riley)

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a special post detailing your daughter's experiences, both today and it the past! Thanks for sharing. I know that the post will be helpful for future adoptive parents and help to reassure your family at home that everything is ok with sweet June.
I am sooo happy for you!
Karen- (CangWu mom)
www.mom2my4.com
I am so sad that June was so cold in the beginning. That is truly awful. I am glad that you found out because I am sure that she (and you) would have always wondered. It is a painful thing to hear/know. I am sorry.

Sharon said...

Cindy,
The thought of any child being left in a box is horrid enough but to know that she was cold enough that she had frostbite is just about unbearable. Bless her sweet little heart. What a blessing she is going to be to all of you. I can see that Guangxi spark! She's going to be a little firecracker when she gets settled!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RILEY!!! Our son bought a cake just outside the Majestic and it looked sooooo delicious! There was a little bakery in that building just to the right of the food court. It was gone when we were there in July of last year. I wish I had a picture of his face when he tasted that cake! He still laughs about it often when he sees a pretty cake.
It is wonderful seeing the photos of June in the lobby of the Majestic. I sat right there at the waterfountain and prayed for my babies before we left to go to the "Welfare Lottery Hotel" to receive each of them. I knew we wouldn't be coming back for a while so before we left we sat there again and prayed for all of the babies yet to come through those doors.
Can't wait to hear more about June as she let's you into her little world!

Sharon
www.ourfamilyourstory.com

P&M said...

Oh Cindy, that is just heartbreaking to hear about how cold poor little June was. It is such a miracle that she survived that much less the next 18 months! God has big plans for your little princess! I love your perspective and insight when talking about how June is handling the transition. You are such an experienced mom and I know that June will be just fine like you say! What a cool thing for Curtis and Riley to both celebrate a birthday in China!! That's got to be a once in a lifetime experience!!
We're still praying for you guys!!!

Marni